Friday 31 March 2017

How to Remove Fingerprint Logon in Windows 7

One of my user asked how to remove fingerprint logon in Windows 7 which came with HP Laptop. Finally I found a way to remove it. The purpose why he wanted to remove fingerprint logon from windows 7 is, after laptop resumed from sleep or hibernation mode he can’t type password properly. It’s just flashing and after two, three characters it is going back to first letter of password. So, he has to type the password very quickly to resume computer.

I suspect, this is because of fingerprint logon option on login screen. My guess was correct, after I removed fingerprint logon from windows 7 logon screen, next time typing password and resuming windows became easy. Let’s see how to remove fingerprint logon option.
To be honest, this is the first time I’m trying to remove fingerprint logon option, because I encourage people to use this option since it’s more secure. I tried following steps.

1) Remove biometric logon from control panel

I found this method in superuser forum to turn off fingerprint logon in windows 7 by switching off biometrics in control panel.

This option should appear in control panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Biometric Devices. As shown below.
 
2) As second method, I disabled finger print reader in device manager. It’s displayed under Biometric devices in device manager. This method seemed good for me. But, after restart the windows 7 HP laptop, I could see still the fingerprint logon option is there. This time under fingerprint sign, it displayed device is not ready for fingerprint capture. Because of I disabled the biometric device from device manager.But the finger print logon option was there at start up. This method too failed.

 3) I went to System configuration utility (Run – msconfig), and removed all programs and services from startup related to biometric and finger print logon. This method too didn’t help me after restart.

 4) Finally, I found out the program which is in charge for finger print capture and authentication. It’s some HP security stuff. After uninstalled the program I can’t see finger print logon option in windows 7 login screen. So, if you are facing same kind of problem, try to uninstall the software related to fingerprint capture and management. Mostly, your laptop supplier would have made software for it.

 I’m sure this post helps you to remove fingerprint logon in windows 7.

No comments: